If you are planning a vacation or trip, a home security system can keep your home safe and give you peace of mind. Here are some tips to keep your home safe while you are traveling.
- Test your security system monthly to make sure it is communicating with the response center.
- Automate indoor and outdoor lights to simulate someone being home.
- Be sure your home security sign is visible.
- Turn off and unplug unnecessary lights and appliances.
- Don’t post online about your travel until you return.
- Check doors and windows to be sure they are locked.
- Have your mail held at the post office if you will be gone longer than a week. Ask a trusted neighbor to pick up any packages that arrive in your absence.
- Set your thermostat to save money but not below 55 degrees to prevent frozen pipes and damaged appliances. If you have a smart thermostat, you can adjust the temperature from your mobile device to be the right temperature upon your return.
- Store valuable and important items in a hidden fire resistant safe.
24/7 security monitoring
Heartland Security systems are monitored 24/7 to ensure your alarms are quickly resolved and properly routed and prioritized. If your system only sends an alert to your cellphone, will you be able to respond while you are away and do you know how to contact the local authorities?
Monitored security systems will also alert you of non-emergency signals. This means if an environmental sensor like a water or heat sensor alerts and you don’t pick up the call, the monitoring center will alert your list of back up contacts so action can be taken.
If you don’t have a security system, get your free, customized quote at 888-264-6380 or visit our website at heartlandsecurity.com.